Sunday, November 20, 2016

SciVizNYC 2016

The first annual SciViz conference took place in New York City last Friday. The guest speakers at SciViz discussed data visualization and the connection between art and science.



Nigel Holmes showed case studies of his witty hand-drawn explanatory graphics.

Mike Deal showed sonographs of whale songs. Len Small presented examples of the art he has used for the magazine Nautilus.


Giorgia Lupi talked about her book project "Dear Data," where she corresponded with a friend using postcards illustrating the random and mundane data of their lives.

Enrico Bertini's talked about how he communicates with clients, not just about the image that they want to commission, but also about how the visuals can help inspire new lines of scientific inquiry.


Michael Grimaldi shared how he has taken his art students at the New York Academy into the dissection lab to deepen their knowledge of anatomy.



Ed Bell showed how he used 3D graphics to help generate imagined landscape views on far-off planets.


My talk was about face recognition: what artists, scientists, and technologists can learn from each other.

SciViz Conference

4 comments:

mdmattin said...

That sounds like a fascinating conference. Are they going to post or publish the proceedings?
Matthew

James Gurney said...

Yes, I think they're going to post videos of some of the lectures, and you ca find images on Twitter and Instagram at the hashtag #sciviznyc

Judy P. said...

I hope you don't mind a silly question: do you erase much? When I sketch I wonder if I should ignore, or incorporate, lines that went awry. At times I feel the act of erasing breaks the flow, and can be messy in the lap. Thanks always for your great blog.

James Gurney said...

Judy, I do erase when I can...but this time I was using water-soluble colored pencils, which don't erase very well.